Monday, February 9, 2015

Kyla, on Your 5th Birthday

My dear, sweet, firstborn daughter.  I can't believe you are five years old!

Bear with me while I reminisce for a bit.  Five years ago...

Daddy and I woke up at 3:30 a.m.  We arrived at the hospital at 4:45.


One dose of Cytotec, two epidurals, way too much Pitocin, and a good number of unpleasant sensations later, you arrived.


You were born at 8:38 p.m.  I called Preacher Papa and Preacher Grandma who were already in Mitchell (at Wal-Mart, when I called).  I told them they had a new granddaughter.  They arrived bearing gifts of burgers, fries, and sodas for the hungry new parents.

You had your Daddy entranced, right from the start.



What a joy you were and still are.

You were independent from the very beginning.  You never liked to be cuddled for very long, much preferring to get down and explore.  This was much to the consternation of your Daddy.


Thankfully, you have also always been a very responsible child.  You loved playing all by yourself and rarely got into too much mischief.  I never heard the words, "I'm bored!" or "I want something to do!"  You were wonderful at entertaining yourself for hours on end.  You still are - although now you much prefer it if Kamryn is available to join you in your imaginative play.

After Kamryn joined our family, you were the best big sister.  Though you were not yet 2 1/2, you were such a help to me.  You were always so careful and protective with your baby sister.

Now I watch you as the oldest sister in a family of three girls.  Just the other day I saw you when Kamryn ran over your toe with her car.  You jumped back and started to cry.  In jumping back, you knocked over Kiahna.  Immediately you stopped crying and touched Kiahna, saying, "I'm sorry, Kiahna!" before you attended to your own pain.  This touched my heart so deeply.

I see the patient way you deal with Kamryn.  In fact, you often have more patience with her than I do, though I admit this with some embarrassment!  I watched when the two of you were outside playing and Kamryn was crying because she couldn't walk over the snow bank.  You asked, "Do you need me to hold your hand?" and then went back and held onto her as you both crossed the drift.

I can't wait to see the woman you will become, though I wish I could hold onto these years of youth for a very long time.  God has amazing plans for you, my daughter.

I love you with every bone, muscle, and vessel in my body.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Heather Bork is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com