Monday, February 2, 2015

The Day My Grandma Lived

I saw her breathe in for the very last time.  And breathe out.

I saw the transformation from life to death.  And death to life.


I said, "If I had to pass, that is the way I would want to go."  Family gathered all around.  Hymns being sung.  The words of the Psalmist being spoken in unison.




It was holy and sacred.

We have often smiled over the similarities of the very young and the very old.  The bell curve of life.  (And I mean no disrespect whatsoever to the elderly by this comparison!)

What I never expected was how closely death would resemble birth.  Grandma was in "labor" for two days before her soul was finally delivered to eternal life.  There was the final "push" right before delivery.  And the holiness of the moment was like nothing I can compare it to, except for the experience of giving birth.  It was a moment that will forever be etched in my memory, not for the sadness, but for the beauty.



Right after Grandpa died, Grandma was referring to his death and told me, "It was beautiful!"  She was right.




And I can't wait until the day I can visit with both of them without the fear of ever being separated again.



I love you, Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heather Bork is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com